David Gilmour Announces Tour

Concerts, clubs, theatrical events, movies and more.

David Gilmour Announces Tour

Postby Marsbar » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 pm

No word yet about North America.....

After announcing details of his new studio album, Luck and Strange, David Gilmour has revealed his intentions to hit the road in support of the forthcoming LP.

The new record, Gilmour’s first full-length studio offering in almost a decade, is set for release on September 6th through Sony Music. The album has been previewed with the lead single, ‘The Piper’s Call’, and has been produced by sibling duo, David and Charlie Andrew.

Gilmour, who is now 78, has been away from the road since 2016, but to make sure his new set of songs receive the exposure he believes it deserves, he’ll be playing shows. While no dates have been announced at this stage, the former Pink Floyd musician is determined to bring his new songs to a live environment.

Furthermore, during a new interview with Uncut, Gilmour provided a sneak behind the curtain at his plans going forward for concerts, expressing “an unwillingness to revisit the Pink Floyd of the ‘70s”.

However, he still plans to delve into the band’s vast repertoire, and noted of their material from other decades (via Neptune Pink Floyd), “Yeah, they might be better represented. I mean, at least one from the 60s. The one we’ve done in the past is ‘Astronomy [The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, 1967]. That’s always entertaining and fun and gets people off to a happy start.”

He continued: “There’s songs from the Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell albums. I mean, I think ‘High Hopes’ is as good as anything we ever did at any time.”

For his last tour, Gilmour made amendments to his touring band, and this time around, he again wants to surround himself with creatively-rich, young musicians who will be given the platform to express their capabilities. “Yeah, I changed the band around last time for a number of reasons, one of which was it was all too robotic, and some people would have been better off in a Pink Floyd tribute band. So I thought we’d get people who are genuinely creative and give them a little more space. That’s the plan,” he explained.

Gilmour added: “So we’re going to have some of the younger guys alongside Guy and the Webb Sisters, who sang with Leonard Cohen on his last tours.”

Additionally, Gilmour explained how he’s got “plenty more pieces of half-formed music” lying around that he “can get started on” in the near future. “The intention is to get something else out as soon as possible,” he said, reassuring fans it won’t be another nine year wait for an album.

Poignantly, Luck and Strange‘s title track sees Gilmour reunite with the late Pink Floyd keyboardist Richard Wright, who passed away in 2008. A year before his death, Wright recorded the part during a jam session at Gilmour’s barn. His children, Romany Gilmour, Charlie Gilmour and Gabriel Gilmour, also contribute to the record.
Marsbar
Stage Manager

Return to Events That Matter